Sunday, May 03, 2009

our final weekend

getting really tired of my blog formatting the way it has been...sorry, again, for the weird spacing.


*i didn't intend for this picture to turn out the way it did, but it's really cool!



*ahh! i can't believe we've almost concluded our final weekend in ghana. this time next week i'll be resting comfortably in jon's awesome apartment, followed by visiting my cousin in brooklyn and having a much needed dinner with charlie. can't believe it. there are so many things i want to say and blog about, so many reflections, etc. perhaps soon there will be a blog with those types of sentiments, but for now, i'll just update you on what we did this weekend!



*friday i spent writing my final paper of the semester! it's good to have that over with, and now i just need to focus on my tests that are on thursday and friday. the day was spent doing nothing, really, and we went to bed early because we had an early morning saturday.



*saturday started at 4:30 am, because nyu in ghana loves leave for their field trips as early as humanly possible. anyway, the bus picked us up at 5 to go to WLI FALLS, pronounced wee-lee falls. the four hour bus ride proved well worth it, as we we got there around 10 or so. we had to hike for 45 minutes to the actual falls, but it wasn't that strenuous, and actually really cool. we had to cross over several bridges, under which there would be families washing their clothes and collecting water. pretty cool.





*the waterfall is gorgeous, and according to the welcome sign is the tallest waterfall in west africa. we all braved the semi-cold waters and got in, and a bunch of us even went to the base of the falls, right where the water actually hits the bottom. it was came down SO hard and was SO loud, but really cool. now just pray none of us get river-blindness, JUST KIDDING. our RAs assured us it is safe for foreigners to swim in the water, and that everyone in prior semesters had done it and been just fine. somewhere, someone has a picture of us actually in the water.

wli falls...the water looks disgusting in this picture, but i assure you it wasn't this bad.

marika, me, gillian and marykate



*this morning all of solomon's decided to make brunch, complete with french toast, pancakes, eggs, and fruit salad. everyone pitched in, and i was the designated pancake-maker. when gillian's mom was here she bought us bisquick...a godsend. it was a great way to spend our last sunday as a complete house. two girls leave on wednesday, gillian, helene and i leave on friday, and then others leave next saturday and sunday. slowly the nyu in ghana program is coming to a close for the semester, and we are all getting really nostalgic and sad. this departure is bittersweet, but more on that later...


*for now, i plan on making the most of my final five days here. today i've decided to stay in my pajamas all day, until gillian and i head to the golden tulip for dinner tonight. we're treating ourselves, because, really, why not? maybe i'll get some organizing/"packing" done today, but let's be honest...i doubt much will get done.



*also, for those interested in the whole development discussion (i've shared some of my thoughts in earlier blogs), i'm reading a new book called dead aid by dambisa moyo, a zambian woman who was educated at harvard and oxford. she's worked for the world bank for many years, and argues that all foreign aid must be removed from africa before africa can get back on its own feet and actually develop. i don't know what her new solution/propositions are (i haven't read that far) but it's a compelling argument, especially since it's being made by an african. what i've read so far is very good, and i'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in another take on the issue/dialogue of development.

*anyway, that's all for now...i suppose i'll go get to that "packing". happy sunday my family and friends!


*love love love

3 comments:

Momma said...

Hi Darling Girl! It was so much fun doing a "community" Skype today with some of your female family members! Aunt Isha was in awe at finally seeing your face and hearing your voice and just loved being a part of it. As soon as we got off, I ran to my computer to read your new blog and just love the photos of the Wli Falls and your final adventure there yesterday. The area looks so green and fresh and you girls look very happy and healthy! I love the photo of you in front of the falls. So glad you got to do that last adventure and that you made another wonderful memory. Your brunch sounded so yummy and a great way to celebrate the last Sunday together in your lovely house. Thank you for the time you gave us all today on Skype - there was one question I didn't get to ask - and I've put it in an email to you. I hope you have an absolutely delicious dinner at the Golden Tulip tonight and that the fettucini alfredo is the best you have ever had! Enjoy your Sunday night and I'll write more in an email. I love you, Momma

nana said...

Good Sunday,EJ: I,also, enjoyed the photos of the beautiful falls,countryside and NYU ladies.It looked so cool and green and reminded me of the lake.What a fun way to spend the last Sunday of your weekend in Ghana. I agree that Bisquick is a blessing of modern civilization.Your menu sounded both nutritious and just plain good.Hope your dinner is equally as delicious.We have had a quiet day and plan to go to, where else, Sweet Tomatoes for dinner. I know we are in a rut;but we all seem to love it.This time next week you will be getting ready for dinner in NYC.Somehow that is exremely comforting to know.Counting the days,hours,minute,seconds and nano seconds until your in H. town.Hugs and kisses. I love you. Nana

Isha said...

Oh my gosh EJ, I just can tell you how awesome it was (and I was truly awed by the technology) being able to talk to you via Skype today. I am just astounded that it is possible to have a realtime "face-to-face" conversion with you half-the-world away. What an amazing time we live in! I realized after the conversation ended that I was practically shouting into the computer. I guess I thought I'd have to talk really, really loud so you could hear me all the way across the Atlantic. :) You know how unhip I am to all this 21st century technology. Anyway, you looked and sounded terrific, just like having a conversation with you in H or at the lake, pajamas and all! It was also great to "meet" G and see she is well. We all feel we already know her through your blog. Enjoyed your photos and description of the Wli Falls. There is little more pleasurable in nature to me than the sights and sounds of moving water...in whatever form. I can only imagine how refreshing, invigorating, and uplifting it was. Waterfalls are definitely good for the soul! Especially liked the picture of the families washing and getting their water from the river. A "back to basics" reliance on nature you would never see in the West anymore. I suppose you have many images burned in your memory, and hopefully on film, of these simple slices of Ghanian life. Can't wait to see and hear about them all! Congratulations on getting that last paper finished and best of luck and brain power on your tests. I know you will do well. Glad you are not stressing too much over the packing business. I liked your idea of donating some of the summer tanks and tees you don't have room for in your luggage to the Widows village and/or orphanage. Great solution to some of your packing problems and many dear ones will benefit by your generosity.

MMMMM...pancakes! MMMM.....fine dining at the Golden Tulip.....chicken fetuccini alfredo I presume?

I am back in Longhorn Country after a really lovely weekend in the big H. Gab's Team came in 3rd among the 30 teams in her bracket. Aunt T said she only missed three serves the whole tournament and scored 14 points in one game! Very happy for her, mostly because she has found a healthy, wholesome activity that she really seems to love...and it has been wonderful for her. I am going to take her out to celebrate some night this week. All of my nieces absolutely rock!!!

Sweetpea, you keep rockin through these last remaining days in Ghana. We are all so excited you are coming home. It will be a joy indeed, when you are back in NYC, NY, USA, and most especially, when you are back in Texas, which despite rumors to the contrary, is still part of the USA. Don't know if you heard, but at a recent rally Gov. Perry made vague reference that Texas could cecede if the circumstances called for it...made us all sound like a state full of arrogant idiots. I think all that hair dye and hairspray has seeped into his brain. (No offense intended to the Republicans among us, but really now...)

"I am Aunt Isha and I support this message." ;)

Love you, love you, love you my all-American Ghana Girl...Isha