Sunday, March 22, 2009

how he loves us

Middle of the Atlas Mountains


I’m back from Morocco!

This past week has been filled with more memories, more troubling times, more heart-movements, more difficult conversations, more tears, more smiles, more laughs, more hugs and happiness, more joy and more spiritual challenges and growth than any other week in my life has ever been filled with. I am transformed and God has done incredible works in me. But this isn’t about me, and never was. My trip to Morocco was about the people of Morocco, about the parents and children at the Village of Hope.

For privacy reasons and to protect the Village of Hope and its staff and families, I am not posting any pictures of any of the children. Also, as this experience was so moving, I have yet to make sense of it all for myself. I am still processing and listening to God and letting my heart be molded. I am not ready to share the stories of the week yet, and don’t feel comfortable doing so on the internet. I would be more than happy to have many conversations about my time at VoH when I get back to the states—maybe we can sit down over chips and queso and I can really tell you about it. But for now, please know that asking me to share about my experience right now is like asking a fish how long it’s been living in the ocean—it’s too immediate, too in the moment, too personal to even be analyzed. I am still in the midst of my joyfulness, still processing the complete and utter humility and selflessness of what I saw this week.

These families changed my life. These parents are the most incredible people in the world. The kids have etched their names on my heart, and I am so honored to have gotten to play with, know and learn about each of these 33 children.

My time spent with the NYU Navigators (the group I faithfully call my “second family”) was most refreshing and necessary. Getting to see and spend time with some of my best friends and making new friends within my family was one of the greatest blessings God has given me since being in Ghana. Charlie and Kala, if you’re reading this, know that you two are the most wonderful, giving people I know, and know I love you both so much. I am blessed to have gotten to spend a week with 30 Navigators—30 people who know what it is to love others and serve God. In the words of Peter Trautmann, “it’s not what you do but who you do it with,” and I am so honored to have “done Morocco” with the Navigators.

Spiritually, I have been challenged in ways I haven’t ever been before. And I feel it is part of my duty in sharing with you all to encourage and challenge you, too. Complacency and idleness is the devil’s handiwork, as I know from experience. I challenge you to seek God, to bring the kingdom of heaven down to earth, to serve and to love and to rid you of yourself to make you less and Him more.

One of the verses we as a group were challenged by is Isaiah 61:1-4. It is:

“The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, he oil of gladness instead of mourning, ad a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor. They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.”

I love this passage because it doesn’t pity those who are poor and brokenhearted; it enables us to enable these children, and for these children to then enable Morocco. And I think that is what we were called to do this week, and that is what we did.

Thank you all for following me along in this journey, and for supporting me financially and prayerfully. I hope to have great conversations about this week when I return home.

love love love


Worship at the bonfire


Gillian and me at the bonfire VoH gave us on our last night!

Made for us by the kiddos


Will post more pictures tomorrow. This is all that would upload for now. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Momma said...

My Precious Elizabeth Jane,
You simply and so eloquently and quite completely take my breath away. In your words and through your thoughtfulness, I find such comfort, grace and belief in all good things. The photo of you is beautiful and your expression says it all. Thank you for rekindling in me hope for the future of God's children in this challenging world and for reminding me of what daddy knew well - to be thankful for what is most important. You get it in spades. I have tears in my eyes, pride in my smile and gladness in my heart. Your sister and I are so blessed by you. Ease into the coming week and remember the things we talked about today. Sleep tight honey. I love you so, Momma

Isha said...

Hello Sweetpea,

I was so happy to read that your time spent in service in Morocco was more wonderful and inspirational than you expected. I'm certain your presence there made a positive impact on the children and families. It is not at all surpising to me that the experience would affect you so profoundly. Acts of service have a way of opening our heart and transforming us in ways that we never could have anticipated. I think that is the way God intends it to be. I can't wait to talk with you about your experieince when you get home. What joy there is in yours and G's beautiful faces at the bonfire. I hope your lives will be filled continuously with a joy, compassion, and peace comparable to that moment. Have I told you lately what an awesome and inspiring person you are Sweetpea? Well, I'm telling you again now. EJ, you just rock! I love you, love you, love you. Isha