Thursday, March 05, 2009

some pictures for your pleasure

I thought I'd share a few pictures with you. The first two are of me teaching at two different schools. In the first game the kids are playing a game (that's why their hands are on their heads). Ashley, another intern, is on the left.

In this photo, they're playing a "risk" game. They put various situations (ie- sex without a condom, kissing, sharing sharp objects, feeding someone with hiv) in piles of "low risk" "high risk" or "no risk" for contracting the virus.

This was taken today, in our African Popular Music class. We had a practical lesson learning to play different types of instruments. In African music, there is what is called a "silent beat". It's a beat everyone hears in their head but isn't played, and most Africans know how to tell and use the silent beat when playing. For Americans, the concept of the silent beat is completely uknown, so we had to learn to find it and play it (something that's not done traditionally). There were several types of drums, a double bell type thing, and a shaker. We all played/learned at once, and it was quite hilarious for all of us unrythmic Obrunis to try to play the same silent beat at one time. The entire time I thought of Sarah. You'd LOVE this class!!
Other than teaching at another school today, the drumming was the highlight of my day. Tomorrow a few of us girls leave for a 3-day weekend to a beach resort about 6 hours away from here. It's Gillian's 21st birthday and we plan on taking it easy and getting some sun! Only a week away from spring break! :)
love love love

3 comments:

Momma said...

Hello, my becoming blonde again drum beating beautiful Obruni -- the photo of you and your class mates learning about the "silent beat" was joyous and fun-thank you for that big bit of sunshine! The children in the other photos are darling - so attentive and earnest. You look beautiful in each photo - and I am seeing some pretty new African fabric frocks on you! I love, love, love the photos you share with us - they give such an immediate and full flavor of what you are experiencing, seeing and feeling. I'm glad we got to im today and I hope that you got a good and restful night of restorative sleep. You know I am here for you - every moment of each day. Please be very safe this weekend and have lots of fun. Tell Gillian happy birthday - this is one that will be memorable for a number of reasons! TGIF a bit early and happy weekend, honey. I love you so much, Momma

Isha said...

Good Morning Miss EJ,

You look so professional teaching your classes. The children certainly look attentive in the photos. How wise and practical that you include games and other fun activities to assist them in learning this sensitive material. I grinned a wide grin when I saw that beautiful smiling face drumming out her inner beat. The look on your face is all sunshine and joy and it makes me think on how courageously and with gusto you have embraced the rhythm of your young life. Have an absolutely wonderful weekend at the beach and take really good care of yourself and your gal pals. I love you Sweetpea. Isha

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

Sublime photos + posts...I'll be back for more :)