Wednesday, March 04, 2009

i have real kente!


Not sure why this is centered like this, but oh well. Above is a picture of the Trade Fair, where I spent a few hours of my afternoon today. It's Ghana's annual event, where vendors from all over the country come and set up booths. The fair lasts for several weeks, and I was fortunate enough to get to hear about it/make it before it closes in a few days. Gillian and I went with mere pennies compared to what we would eventually end up spending! They had everything there! From real, hand-woven kente cloth, to beaded jewelry, to television sets, they had it all. I found myself spending about an hour inside a beaded jewelry shop, picking out gifts for people (yes, maybe you!). I also made my way to another shop that had lots of authentic kente. Students usually buy the print kente, which is just kente pattern printed on normal material. I have a dress made out of this kind of fake kente. This shop we went to had authentic kente hung along all its walls, and I found one I just loved. It was a bit pricey, but for what it is, and for being hand-woven, I figured I needed to have one. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving Ghana without the most quintessential Ghanaian thing there is- kente. I hope to one day pass it on to my kids, as its really durable and really valued. Anyway, after picking all these things out, I went on a quest to find an ATM, which is NOT easy in Accra. You'd think it being the capital/biggest city in Ghana I'd have no problem, but I guess not! I finally found one and made my way back to the fair to buy everything. I also bought some REALLY great linen cloth that I'll probably just bring home as is. Maybe Mom can make some curtains or do something creative with it ;).


My kente!

Anyway, the rest of the day was spent doing nothing, as usual. Watched two movies today and wrote letters. Will get those in the mail tomorrow. I teach at my only school this week tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that. I love working with these kids, their intelligence and willingness to learn really makes me smile.



Time for bed, be well!



love love love

2 comments:

Isha said...

Hi EJ,

Congratulations on your newly acquired Kente! I loved the vivid colors of the fabric in the photo. I'm sure it looks even more gorgeous in person. I know it will become a cherished heirloom of your daughters and grandaughters down through the years. Well worth the price for this one-of-a-kind piece of wearable Ghanian art.Have a wonderful and productive day teaching your class tomorrow. I can't say enough how proud we all are of you for doing this life saving work. Love you so much, Isha

Momma said...

Good Morning Honey - What a beautiful piece of kente woven cloth - it looks just like you with the colors that you love and that I associate with you! The geometric patterns and color combinations are gorgeous. I am thrilled that you made this important purchase! Can't wait to feel it and see it in person. And can't wait to see the linen cloth you purchased . . . I will be feasting for days! I am glad that the trade fair was happening during your time there - very lucky. I hope that your class went well today and that those young, eager souls eagerly accepted what you are teaching them. They are such lucky ones. Nana is here and getting ready to go to the lake - Carolyn says it is beautiful there so Nana is looking forward to being there. We had burgers and a good visit last night. She is doing beautifully and is happy that it has gone so well. Thank you again for your daily updates and photos - makes me feel so much closer to my blue eyed Angel. I love you and miss you so. Please continue to be careful and safe and know you are in my heart every moment. Your Momma