Tuesday, March 03, 2009

short post

today was entirely uneventful. i had my society, culture and modernization class. my internship seminar was cancelled today, so it was nice to sleep in a little bit. after SCM, gillian and i went to koala, the local supermarket, to buy some essentials (ramen noodles, cereal, and yogurt). the rest of the day was spent mindlessly on the computer and watching movies. today we watched when harry met sally and ocean's 12. we had a great dinner at sunshine salads, one of the best so far! so it was a boring but good, relaxing day (i seem to have many of those!).

one thing i have forgotten to point out is the often physical reminders of you all back home. sometimes i'll be driving and a sign will catch my eye because it has a familiar name on it.

signs i've seen so far:

"isha's collections"- a fabric store i'm presuming. i haven't been in yet, but promise i will and will take a picture before i leave.
"eric"- the name of some store that was closed as i was leaving WAAF yesterday
"elizabeth's pharmacy"- this was in winneba
and
"gillian's memories"- i think this is just a convenience type store, but the fact that it was "gillian," a very uncommon name here, and spelled with a "g" and not a "j" was just weird.

i have yet to see anything called "diana" or "sarah," but when i do, i will be sure to mention it! just thought the "isha" one was really random, but great!

anyway, that's all i've got to post for today! i talked with megan, my cousin, a few days ago and she is settled into brooklyn in the neighborhood i'm hoping to live in next year! it'll be good to have some family up there. AND, *clears throat* she is the ONLY person to send me measurements, which i appreciate immensely. isha, if you want a tablecloth, please tell me the length/shape/width of your table.

goodnight!

love love love

3 comments:

Megan Shelby said...

Really? I am the only one to send measurements? And here I thought I would be bringing up the rear! Well, pat on the back for your cousin...j/k! I am just about settled, I moved all of my luggage to my new place tonight and tomorrow will be my first night there! My new roomie, Erika, is lovely, and now I just have to get down to getting the essentials...like a bed...and hangers...and towels oh my! Love you much! Can't wait til you are my neighbor!

xoxoxo

Megan

Momma said...

Good morning, Honey, I hope that you had a nice evening and are ready for another day in West Africa! Still gives me a little jolt to say that - guess it will be so until you return home. Glad that you are reminded of home and those who love you by the signs that surround you. The names of places and people are unabashadley and unapologetically descriptive - in a way that is lovely and innocent. We would roll our eyes at the use of some of the monikers used there if they were used here - yet it seems that the Ghanaians take pride in them and other sayings. It's refreshing. I've sent you an email with more info. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday and find more things to marvel over. Please be safe as always. Many kisses and hugs. I love you much. Momma

Isha said...

Hi there sweetpea,

Glad you got to just "chill" today and that you got some really good food in your tummy. It is so exciting that Megs is in Brooklyn. It will be nice for you both to have family close by. You are both so bright, intelligent, adventurous, interesting, and playful that I imagine you and your cous will be taking many big bites out of the Apple together when you return (and you know there will be plenty of photographic evidence, so bite and smile, bite and smile)! "Isha's Collections" made me smile.:) I wonder if this is not such an unusual name in West Africa as here. I do hope you get to go in and meet Isha. If you do, please take her (or his) photo. One of my "25 Things" was going to be that I like the name Isha better than my real name (which I do like) and that if I wasn't known by my birth name professionally, I would get it legally changed to Isha. No kidding! So much familial love associated with that name in my heart. I will definitely email you the table cloth measurements. I've actually measured it, but I need to consult with my decorator (Nana) to find out how far over the table it is suppose to hang. I watched Gab play in a volleyball tournament this weekend. She was really, really good and seems to love playing. I've been spending a lot more time with the local relatives, and we are all going to dinner this Friday (the newlyweds too) in celebration of Gab's newly acquired teenage status. Can you believe she is already 13? Still working on that date to the Springsteen concert. I have some offers, but am holding out for the greatest probability of romance. :) I really miss you EJ. You're in my prayers everyday. I hope you continue to find pleasure in the laid back days as well as the faster paced ones. You deserve to enjoy them all! Love you so much, Isha