Tuesday, April 07, 2009

creations from marjorie!

i am so excited! i have been getting things made for you all from marjorie. last weekend's successful trip to makola market provided me with lots of fabric for everyone who requested something, and i have been giving it to marjorie in increments.

she brought some of the finished products over tonight, and they are all SO great!! and each is SO *insert your name here*. can't wait to distribute and to have a mini-fashion show with each of you dawning a unique and made-for-you african creation. trust me, though, i made sure each fabric/outfit combo is "wearable" and "trendy" by american standards. :) eeeek, can't wait!

i have a few more people and odds and ends to shop for, but my souvenir/gift shopping is ahead of schedule and right on track. i hear that in past semesters students have frantically run around the last week trying to buy things and have marjorie make things, and that's NOT how i want to spend my last week in ghana (which is only FIVE weeks away!).

if you want something made and haven't let me know, please let me know soon. we are making another trip to makola on thursday where i will probably buy my last batch of fabric. if you don't know what you want yet, but know that you want something, at least just let me know the colors you like so i can go ahead and get the fabric--we can talk designs later.

besides coming home from the hospital to an abundance of marjorie creations, today was a great day! i saw gillian twice at the hospital. HOPEFULLY she [better] will be released tomorrow, once the results come back from several tests she's waiting on. thanks for your continued prayers. she's in great spirits and feels much, much better. just ready to get out of that damned hospital. i don't blame her.

i am in great spirits, too, after that renewing trip to woe and an overall easy and good week thus far class-wise. one of my friend's sister's is here visiting for 10 days, so hopefully we can take her to all the places we went the first few weeks we were here, when everything was new and exciting and overwhelming.

miss you all so much but will see you VERY soon!

love love love

3 comments:

Isha said...

Hi EJ,

So excited about my Made by Marjorie table linens! I think it is great that you paced yourself with all that souvenir shopping and I'm sure Marjorie appreciates the steady stream of work. I have alot of admiration for people who have a talent for sewing, particularly those who enjoy it. It would be great if you could share her address with us when you get home, so we can send her a note of appreciation. Delighted to read that you are in great spirits and also that G may get out of the hospital tomorrow. I know you will be happy to have your roomie back and in good health. I am so proud of you, (though not at all surprised, for being so supportive to her through her illness. What a wonderful friend you are. Have a terrific and peaceful Wednesday. Love you, love you, love you! Isha

Momma said...

Good Night, sweet Elizabeth Jane -- my travels today through your extended photo albums led me to such rich and beautiful fabric colors, patterns, textures and fashions! I was delighted to see everyone's custom made dresses and skirts and the thought of owning one of these beautiful Marjorie made Ghanaian gowns makes me so happy! Thank you for all your efforts in finding and getting these fabrics purchased and transformed into frocks which fit each of us physically and personality wise. You have devoted lots of time, thought and care in the "goods" selection and in fitting the pieces to the person. Sounds as if its been fun for you to do - hope so! My prayers have been and still are with both you and Gillian all day -know that you are both beyond ready to be free of the hospital, doctors and feeling bad - that day will be very soon.So glad to hear that both of you are in good spirits. That is very good. You have visitors to look forward to and time will be going by more and more quickly. Enjoy your Wednesday, honey. It is going to be a great day tomorrow. I love you, Peanut. Momma

nana said...

Good morning,EJ: Yes,I have been reading every word you post and looking at the most beautiful photos I've ever seen from a non professional.So glad Gillian is better and you are rested and refreshed. Can't believe it is only 5 weeks away until we see your smiling face in person and hear so many adventures. Spoke with Megan yesterday and she is looking forward to your stopover in NYC.She is so happy with her new adventure.I am so proud of both of you. Those Shelby women are something else !!The anticipation to see the beautiful fabrics and gifts grows each time you describe them. Thank you for being so generous.I will go to the lake today to meet repair people and get ready for Easter. We will miss you;but know you will be there in spirit and in our hearts.Have a great week and a blessed Easter. I miss you and love you so. Hugs and kisses. Nana