Tuesday, April 14, 2009

happy easter!

with love, from ghana!

we commemorated easter with a party at solomon's. we invited church crescent (the other dorm) over and had a bar-b-que south african style (thanks to some south african friends we met at champs), danced, and had a great time. some of the girls even hard-boiled eggs the night before and hid them around our house, and of course, gillian and i being the children that we are, partook of this easter egg hunt and found four (see picture above). kinda reminded me of my childhood easters at nana's house at the lake, when all my cousins and her neighbors and i would go all over her hilly yard looking for eggs in our sunday easter dresses. last easter, i was with my friend jon in texas, celebrating at the berry center, where my sister played some sort of percussion.

easter morning marykate, some friends and i went to st. peter's catholic church to celebrate. now, if you remember i went to a ghanaian church earlier in the semester with G, and decided that'd be the last time i went. however, i really wanted to go to church on easter, so opted to suck it up and deal with the FOUR hour long service. now, mind you, the sermon was only 20 minutes, maximum, followed by a translator doing the entire sermon again in twi. the other 3 hours and 20 minutes were devoted to announcements, performances (which were actually cool), two offerings, and communion. all in all, it was great and i'm glad i went, but BOY do these people know how to stretch out a church service.

gillian's mom is here and she's awesome! gillian seems so happy and has so much energy, and is a spitting image of her mom. she brought goodies my mom sent to her to bring for me, along with the new gavin degraw cd which is phenomenal. anyone who knows me at all knows i love gavin degraw, and was saddened when i found out he had a new cd come out while i'd be here and couldn't access it. but, thanks to my gracious mother and sister, i am currently playing the entire cd on repeat (along with a few other cds my sister sent along).

all in all, it's been a GREAT few days and i'm really, really enjoying my few short weeks left. gah, i still can't believe that in three weeks from saturday i will be back in the states!! seems so surreal.

wishing you all lots of love on this tax-day eve!

love love love

3 comments:

nana said...

Hi,EJ: Happy post-Easter Tuesday. You and Gillian look so cute with your eggs. Thanks for remembering the wonderful childhood egg hunts at my paradise on the lake. I can just see and hear all of you running and shrieking as you discovered the egss. Isha had a fond memory this week-end. I climed up to get something off the pie safe and Isha said"Going to the supermarket?" You used to think it was so cool that I had extra groceries way up high on that cupboard.and you would say "Nana,going to the supermarket?"Such a cute baby girl !!Glad Gillian's mom is there. Moms just seem to make everything better.Loved hearing about church.Reminded me of St. Paul preaching so long a young man went to sleep and fell out of the window and Paul brought him back to life.Don't see how even the most devout can sit that long.All is well here. Have a great week. Hugs and kisses. I love you. Nana

Isha said...

Good morning Sweetpea! It seems as if you had one terrific Easter. So excited that you will be home soon and can tell us all about Ghanian barbecues, Easter traditions, and religious observance. Is it strictly a religious holiday or do they also incorporate some of the elements of the rites of spring in the holiday, i.e. other than at your dorm, do bunnies lay hard boiled and chocolate eggs on Easter? The picture of you and G with your eggs is delightful, mostly because of those two big smiles. You both look so healthy and happy. The church service sounds interesting, but a little tedious. I admire your patience, tenacity, and obviously well-developed glutious maximus! So glad that there was enough entertainment to keep you and MK awake such that you did not fall out of any windows! :) Your blog entry brought back my own memories of Easters past at the lake. Memories of my childhood there as well as those watching you, SSS, and your cousins frolicking about in your Easter finery. You were all so adorable...the absolute cutest, funniest collection of little Easter chickadees ever! It makes me smile to think that one day we both may be watching your children gleefully hunting Easter eggs at that very special place on the Guadalupe...a little bit of thread stitching together the fabric of multiple generations of our family. Have a fabulous day today EJ. Love and hugs galore. Isha

Momma said...

Good Morning, Honey. Thank you for your very cheerful text this a.m. (tax day)! It sure did help to open my eyes and heart - after a long night! As I expressed in my email yesterday - this blog entry is simply beautiful - joyful and full of hope and love -- just what this time of year promises for us all. It was a real treat to me. Oh - the memories you are creating for both your short term and long term future! Your mind is going to be so glee - full. So, so glad you are enjoying your Easter goodies and the visit from G's mother. She sounds so special and fun - and I know everyone is loving having her there. The tax man and the employer man (men) await - so I'll close for now! Know that I love you so and always, always appreciate your special words of love, encouragement and cheer. I love you, Momma