Monday, January 19, 2009

first day of "classes"

Today was the first day of classes here at the NYU Academic Center! My class wasn’t until 2 but I didn’t get to sleep in because we had to, yet again, trek to Legon to see if class times were posted for the class Marykate and I want to take. Guess what? They weren’t. “Come back tomorrow” is the token response, and I’m beginning to wonder if classes EVER start here. Ha. Markyate is checking tomorrow to see if the times will be posted, though we highly doubt it.

I had my internship seminar today, which was really good. There are about ten of us doing it, so the class is really small and meets once a week to discuss our internships, problems we’re having within them, interesting developmental issues, assigned readings pertaining to development, etc. Today, specifically, we discussed our expectations and fears with this internship, and I think we got reassured about a lot of worries we had as a collective group (will our employers take us seriously, will there be a communication gap/issue, will we be assigned menial or overwhelming tasks, etc.). Jennifer, our professor, told everyone where she sent our resumes off to, and she didn’t send mine to WAAF. Two other girls also wanted to work there, and apparently they only had two spots for interns, so Jennifer only sent two resumes for them to look at. I’m a bit frustrated because I feel I’m well qualified and perhaps Jennifer should have sent all three for WAAF to look at and decide which two they wanted. Either way, she sent my resume to SHARP, a Ghana-specific HIV/AIDS awareness organization. Their website is http://ghanasharp.org/ I haven’t done too much research on it, but from what I have seen, they do good work. And I know I’ll be useful wherever I’m placed, and that’s ultimately all that matters. I know I should be flexible and not picky, but I had my heart set on WAAF since I applied to study abroad in Ghana in early September. My biggest frustration is just having my heart set on something and my direction being completely changed not by my doing. I guess I need to trust God more and stop thinking I get to make my own plans. This is all for good, no matter where I work, and SHARP seems to be a very good organization. Just not the one I had set out to work at. We’ll see. I may talk to Jennifer if tomorrow I’m still feeling as bummed as I do now. But all is well and God works and I’m not in control. This is not about me. And if this is my biggest problem right now, I am truly, truly blessed.

After class I came home and did what I always do when frustrated- take a nap. It always, always helps for me to just go to sleep and not think about anything. The nap was wonderful and after I woke up I called Eric, we talked for a bit, and hearing his voice makes everything better. Please pray for him and his family; they’re going through a hard time as his grandfather is very, very ill.

After the nap we went to dinner at Tante Marie’s, then a few of us went over to Church (the other dorm) to watch Planet Earth with some of the girls over there. Umm Planet Earth is SO cool. Anyone who hasn’t seen it, see it. It’s on Discovery Channel and is truly amazing. The bonding time with the other girls was nice, and it was nice to get out of our dorm and hang in theirs for a while.

Off to bed now- I have one class tomorrow at 10, and then I’m free the rest of the day to read and write and do whatever else I choose!

Hope all is well at home.

love love love

this is Solomon's Lodge, where 15 of us girls live. we all call it "the real world house".

3 comments:

Momma said...

Honey,

LOVED talking with you just now - have patience - we are rookie novices with this thing called Skype! This photo of your house is beautiful - lovely and picturesque! Now, I can place you in your living place. I like its name. Thank you for talking with us tonight; it was so refreshing and heartening to see you and your beautiful face!! Get good sleep and take good care of my baby. I love you, sweetie, Momma

Momma said...

Elizabeth Jane,
I just read your entry - it hadn't yet posted when I saw the photo of your house. I sent you an email response honey. I hope that you sleep well and have sweet dreams. I love you so, Momma

Isha said...

Hello to my wonderful sweetpea. Thank you for posting a photo of your new Ghanaian home. Like your Mom wrote, it feels good to be able to place in you a space. It looks quite charming. I can't wait for a photo tour of the inside (hint, hint). I thought the name you'all gave the house was quite clever. Hopefully it will be all the excitement and fun of a "real World" house, but without all all the drama! I am so sorry you didn't get the internship you wanted at WAAF. I know it is disappointing for you, but I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. Sweetpea, I know in the core of my being that God is leading you to where you will do the greatest good. Perhaps there are those at SHARP who need to be touched by your beautiful spirit and perhaps there is something there for you to experience that will have a profound impact on your life. Still, I do understand what a struggle it can be (especially for we Westerners)to just "let go and let God." It is not how we are conditioned in our culture, so I am definitely empathizing with your frustation. I am just confident that you will move quickly passed the frustration and disappointment and do wonderful things, "important things" (as your Dad would say) wherever God leads you. Sending you so much love you can't even imagine...Isha