Sunday, January 18, 2009

week one is done!

At the market yesterday...pigs feet in the foreground. mmm.

Can’t believe it’s been ONE WEEK since we’ve been here. Time is so weird here because it feels like the days drag on and fly by all at the same time. We’ve been here a week and it feels like it’s been a month and a day all at the same time. Pretty crazy. So today’s post today probably. I realize I’ve gotten pretty wordy in my previous posts, though it helps me process the day as much as it helps you know what I’m doing, so everyone wins! But we didn’t do a whole whole lot today, and I have to get to bed early.

We started the day with brunch at Headlines Hospitality- the very first restaurant we ate at (the picture of the food in one of my first blogs was taken there). They served us all sorts of brunchy foods and it was SO good! We had bacon, omelets, sausage, croissants, toast, and fruit! Once again, we had fresh squeezed pineapple juice that literally tastes like pineapples. Fruit here is served as a dessert, and fresh pineapple at the end of a meal is typical and oh so delicious. They even made us a huge sheet cake decorated like the Ghanaian flag that said “Welcome to Ghana NYU!” and that was really good. Everything was so good and a great reminder of home.

After the brunch we headed to the Labadi Beach- right near where the art gallery is. We heard it was going to be crowded and kind of dirty, but it wasn’t too bad! We found a nice spot kind of to ourselves, and just sunbathed, read, and some played Frisbee and went for walks. Once we settled vendors would come up to us trying to sell stuff, but they eventually got the hint we were not interested and wanted to be left alone. There were a few people selling fruit and fried plantain chips which were delicious. I bought 3 bananas and a pineapple for ONE Cedi (that's ONE dollar, folks). Also, I bought 2 bags of plantain chips for a Cedi. Ah I could eat fruit all day long because it's sooo cheap. The beach wasn’t gorgeous, but it was very nice and a good way to rest for a few hours.

After the beach we went to the Accra Mall, which is seriously like a regular shopping mall. So strange to see in the middle of Accra, since huge complexes like shopping malls just don’t exist here. It was like stepping back into America or something. The mall had a supermarket with everything we needed. The prices were more expensive than in the markets, but they had packaged meat and certain foods the market just doesn’t sell. We came back with tons of groceries and Gillian, Marika, Marykate and I made dinner! Gillian and I were in charge of the rice while Marika and Marykate made the vegetables and chicken- it was all delicious, though Gillian and I need to perfect the rice. Hopefully by the end of the semester we’ll be rice geniuses. Marika, Marykate and I at the beach!

Tomorrow is the first day of classes! I only have my internship seminar tomorrow, so we’ll see how everything works out with that!

I hope all is well at home and that everyone is safe, happy, and healthy. I think about everyone often and see things that remind me of all of you everywhere I go.


love love love

2 comments:

Isha said...

Congratulations on completing the first full week of your big Ghanaiase adventure! So happy to read you had such a relaxing day. I really enjoyed the pictures you sent today. The pig's feet vendor looks so kind and cheery. The fruit looks an sounds scrumptious, especially the pineapple! And you look so beautiful and content laying at the beach with your friends. The ocean and the beach in the photo background remind me alot of Mustang and the North part of Padre Island. I am so glad you got a day to just chill before school and your internship begin and relieved to know you have plenty of healthy good food you enjoy to eat. Have a great first day at university. My love to my adorable sweetpea. Ish

Momma said...

My Beautiful Daughter,
I can't believe it's been one week either! So much has happened in your new worldl How your bright smiling face is - the photos make my heart happy! You are the picture of health and contentment in both photos and I am pleased beyond words that you are among both school and Ghana friends and that you are being treated so well - decorated sheet cake and all! I will be thinking of you all day today and sending cheery and happy wishes as you begin your "studies" abroad! Have fun, honey - you will shine and do beautifully in this as you do in all things. You were with us tonight as we enjoyed SA one last time! The girls were on the stage and I was on the first row and it was spectacular. None of this would have happened had we not discovered SA together, before its debut, when you first explored NYU! It is still our own prized find. I think of you every moment of each day and I send you my love every second. You have a happy and joyful first day of school! I can't wait to hear about it, darling girl. I love you so so much, Momma