Wednesday, January 21, 2009

no woman no cry

Today was good for my soul. Let me back up though and start with yesterday- Obama’s inauguration! Despite any personal politics, one cannot deny it was a momentous occasion and an important moment in history. I was overjoyed that I got experience the swearing in of the first African American president in Africa. It was incredible seeing everyone gathered young and old, black and white, American and African, rallying together for the same cause- hope. I was almost moved to tears at one point in the program because the hope that Obama has instilled in his African brothers and sisters is incomparable to any hope he may have instilled in his American people. They admire him, perhaps because they identify racially with him, but also because he is a leader, and no one can argue with that. They trust that he will bring issues of third world countries to the forefront, and will not neglect them. Let’s hope they’re right. Anyway, spending inauguration evening at the W.B. DuBois center was incredible, and the pictures I posted yesterday should prove it. Lots of live music, vendors selling Obama stuff, and tons and tons of people. The moment he was sworn in everyone was hooping and hollering, and throughout his entire speech people were clapping as if they were really there. Such joy and hope he has instilled in these people.

Yesterday I also had my first Society, Culture and Modernization in Ghana class, which was great. Gillian and several of my friends are in the class and the professor has been teaching at the University of Ghana for over 40 years. The book he wrote on Ghana is what we’ll use as our textbook, and he seems very well versed in anything and everything Ghana. Each week we will cover a different topic of Ghanaian culture- past and present. This week we learned about the different ethnic groups of Ghana, and in the future we’ll learn about marriage practices, religious practices, politics, etc. At some point during the semester we’ll even get to go to his hometown in a very rural part along the coast and spend the weekend there! He says that’s the “real Ghana experience.”

Today was a very relaxing day- no classes! It was so nice to be able to sleep in, though I was woken by a phone call from Jennifer, my professor for my internship seminar. She said she sent my resume to WAAF and they want to interview the three of us together on Monday morning. I guess they’ll decide from there which two (or three) of us they want. I’m very happy that I’ll at least be given the chance to interview with them! So anyway, I slept in and lounged around the house all day while everyone was gone. When Marykate and Marika got back we went to a street in our neighborhood called Apapa, where lots of vegetables and household goods are sold. It’s very dirty and smells horrendous, and even though Marika went with the intention of buying food, she quickly opted not to. There were chickens running around in the streets, pecking at the trash in the gutters, and it was just fowl all around (ha ha). But, it’s a nice walk from our dorm and if a good street to walk down if you just want to walk (something that’s hard to do here, at least alone).
Apapa
After I got back I laid outside on one of our couches and read and dozed off. The weather was perfect and the shade was good and the sounds of bicycle vendors honking their little horns (the ones that sound like a child’s tricycle horn) were enough to put me right to sleep. It was so wonderful getting to rest my body and soul.

We went to Tante Marie’s for dinner, and everything was really good but super spicy, so I didn’t eat too much. Afterwards, pretty much the entire program went to Labadi beach for Reggae night, where a band plays live reggae music on the beach and everyone drinks and dances and is merry! Little fire pits all over the beach light up the night for dancing, and it’s a really good time. I think we’ll all be going there many Wednesday nights because it’s a good place and time to unwind and just dance with friends. Here's a link to a very popular Bob Marley song here, "No Woman, No Cry". I've heard it at both Reggae night and at that other bar/club we went to last week and it's one of the essentials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg2n039txnk

We have to get up early for a class at 10:30 at Legon- African Popular Music. I’m really excited about this class, and hope at some point we can learn how to play drums or something!

Hope all is well at home. Please keep each other safe and love love love.

PS- a very beautiful collaboration called "Yes, We Can" was played a lot last night, and I really like the way the artsits did it. Click here to listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

3 comments:

Isha said...

Hi Sweetpea!

How wonderful it was to read about the inauguration festival in Accra and your experience of it. What an awesome opportunity for you to be there at that historical moment. Here at home we got some snipets of how it was received on the Africa continent, especially in Kenya. I can only imagine the awesome energy and emotion that were all about you in those moments. There is a lot of buzz and ecitement here now about Obama's call to service. I hope that the spirit of service to community here can really take hold in a meaningful and lasting way. I think about you and the service you have done with your church and with the Navs and what you will do in Ghana. I am just so awestruck at the caring and loving spirit you are and that you really "get" that when you give of yourself to "the least of these" you are giving a gift to God and He to you. It is a remarkable thing that you understand and incorporate this wisdom into your life at such a young age. I honor you for it.

Your classes sound so cool. I can't wait to learn more from you as you learn. Glad you had a relaxing day. The beach party sounds so much fun. I love it that you are enjoying the reggae. It gets in your soul. Thanks for the two video links. "No Woman No Cry" is classic Bob Marley. I hadn't heard the song for many years and was thus inspired to pop in a CD and am listening to Marley as I write this. Your blog is really bringing much joy into my life. Thank you my sweet Ghana girl. You stay safe. Love you like crazy. Isha

nana said...

Hi,Sister Girl: Am loving your photos and adventures. So glad you are taking full advantage of every experience. The inauguration was powerful and majestic. Made one proud to be an American.So glad you were able to celebrate it in Ghana.We were all a part of history. Awesome ! Everyone is fine here. We will celebrate Monkey Bob's birthday on Sat. night @ Ya Ya Mary's.He wanted greek food.Isha will join us. Wish you could be here.Your classes sound so interesting. I know we are all going to get an education along with you. I love it. Take care sweet girl. I love you so. Hugs and kisses. Nana

Momma said...

Hi Honey,

You have succeeded in taking me away and into your magical and colorful world - thank you - I am grateful for the escape more than you know. I will write more in my email to you today. Just know that your words, images, music, consistently wonderful (and humorous) attitute and keen and wise perspective are great gifts to me. Have a wonderful day, Sweetheart. You deserve it. I love you, Momma