Friday, January 23, 2009

quest for cake

The house is quiet tonight as some of the girls left for a trip to a beach a few hours away. I enjoy the peace and quiet because it gives me peace of mind and solace. A lot of times I am overwhelmed by people always doing something, or there being people all around me. A former student who did the NYU in Ghana program mentioned that students have to get used to not having much, if any, alone time here—because you can’t travel at night by yourself (and not really in the day either) and there is always someone in the house or outside or around. It’s very true, and I’m remembering how much alone time means to me, and how important it is for me to have time and space to sit in my bed and watch TV. That’s why I used to stay up late at home or in NY, because it’s a time when everyone else is asleep and I can finally process and be. I’ve really enjoyed reading outside on the couch.

Anyway, today was really fun. I didn’t have any classes or anything, so Gillian and I woke up about 10 and hung around the house for a few hours. We decided a few days ago that our top priority this week was to get bikes in order to be able to ride around easier and maybe allow us to go places we wouldn’t otherwise go on foot (like the Post Office). One of the CRAs, Chris, took me, Gillian and Eric to this area of Accra called Nima (if you asked me to point to it on a map I’d have no idea what to do). We decided that it was only reasonable to spend between 60 and 65 Cedi on a bike, so we went up and down this main road going from bike shop to bike shop bargaining for bikes. One place went down to 60 for us, but didn’t have the bikes we wanted. Gillian and my main concern was getting a bike with a basket on the front. So girly but so essential. Anyway, Eric found a bike we wanted at one shop, and was bargaining with the guy with Chris, so G and I decided to just go ahead up to the next shop where we found the two cutest bikes—with baskets! They’re the very old fashioned kind of bikes, with the big wheel covers and high handle bars, and so adorable. Mine’s pink and Gillian’s is orange, and I’ve decided to name mine Waffle. Gillian named hers Sunnyside Up. But I digress. Anyway so these two bikes were perfect and just what we were looking for, but they were asking 95 Cedi for each. Long story short, after bargaining for literally an hour, and getting doted upon by this one guy who wanted to marry me and go to America, we got the price down to 65 Cedi for each bike! We were really proud of ourselves. Our blessed driver, Uncle Sammy, took us to and from Nima, and helped us load all three of our bikes in the van. Everyone here, especially all the NYU staff, is such a saint. When we got home, we rode our bikes to the corner store to get bread, and I’d forgotten how liberating it is to bike ride. I absolutely love it and love that it takes me back to my Arizona days. Seriously, I am flooded with joy.

After was had some fun riding around, Marika, Marykate, Gillian and I decided to get a cake for our CRA, Naa, who just got her driver’s license today. Here in Ghana it’s a big deal to get your license, and it’s a long process, so she was very very excited. We called several restaurants we knew of, and visited two of them, and none of them had a cake ready for pickup today. We finally found this place down the road called ChurCheese—the Ghanaian version of Chuck E Cheese—and bought 15 pieces of cake they were selling individually. They wanted to charge 3 Cedi a piece, so 45 Cedi total, and I negotiated it down to 40. I’m getting the hang of it and really having no shame calling bull on someone’s prices. When we got home from dinner we called an impromptu house meeting and surprised Naa. She was so excited and honored. Afterward we played a few rounds of Spoons, the card game, with her, and we had some good housemate bonding time. A few of us headed over to Church Crescent to hang out with them and watch the Alli G Show. Had lots of fun and are now back home. We’re gonna wake up and go to the pool all day tomorrow, then the market on Sunday. I could get used to this three day weekend thing.

Please continue to pray for Eric and his family—he lost his grandfather yesterday and they could use all the love and prayers you can offer.

I am doing well here—getting acclimated to my immediate environment, and beginning to understand how the people here work. I’m trying my best to participate in every custom they have here, and feeling good about the fact that this time will fly by. Gillian and I were talking about how we think it’ll be the perfect amount of time once it’s over. I’m not hoping for it to go by fast, but when it’s time to go home I think I’ll be ready. I miss home more and more everyday but know right here right now is where I need to be. Please don’t hesitate to write me letters or anything J

love love love

elizabeth

ps- I’ll post pictures of Waffle and Sunnyside Up tomorrow!

3 comments:

Isha said...

Hello Sweetpea!

I just finished reading and responding to yesterday's blog entry and lo and behold here is another one that just came up posted! Congratulations on the two new additions to your Ghanaise family! I'm sure Waffle and Sunnyside Up will bring added joy and adventure to yours and Gillian's lives! It is good to read that you are finding ways to carve out alone time for yourself. Excitement, adventure, and companionship are all marvelously enriching, but our spirits do need to just "be" in order to recharge. Besides what more engaging company for you to be in than the company of Elizabeth Jane! My Goodness, what a haggler you are becoming. I am so impressed! And what a kind and thoughtful gesture to buy a cake to celebrate this special event in Na's life. You are such a sweetie!

I am definitely praying for our dear young Eric and his family. Please let him know we are all thinking of him and sending him our love. Have a very relaxing day at the pool. Use your sunscreen and stay safe. Love you, love you, love you!
Isha

Momma said...

Hi Darling Girl, What a lovely image you paint of reading in the cool shade and enjoying precious alone time in your house - one of my favorite parts of any day. So good for your soul and overloaded senses! Can't wait to see photos of your pink and orange rides - what a good and practical idea! LOVE their clever monikers. Sarah and I just got back from "Fiddler on the Roof" at JV - guess who was the fiddler?! Mandy Hogan - and Elizabeth - she was awesome - and, yes, I am using that overused word most appropriately here. That girl was, of course, the most professionally perfect string player I have ever heard and she had the look and stage presence of a veteran Broadway performer. What a treat it was to see/hear her AND the play was beautifully done! I had to hug Mandy (she is always so sweet to me) and she asked all about you. She sent you her love. Going tonight with Sarah reminded me of all the times you and I went to JV plays together - the BEST of times. You know how I love theater with my girls! You are striking such a healthy balance of activity and rest. I am very proud of you. Enjoy every moment - I know you are! Best call it a night (more personal stuff in email). Have a wonderful and happy weekend, honey, and know that I love you so, so, so much, Elizabeth Jane. Your Momma

nana said...

Sister Girl: Just finished another installment of the Amazing Adventures of Elizabeth. Since you were a little girl,you have been able to enjoy being with you and amusing yourself. So glad you are getting alone time and so glad you are having fun.You seem to be in perfect balance and that is important.The bikes sound so cute.Can't wait to see your photos. Have a great weekend. Miss you and love you sooooo much. Hugs and kisses. Nana