Thursday, January 29, 2009

the four "H"s

So I guess I need to catch everyone up on the last few days. I thought because I had so much free time yesterday, I’d be able to fully update my blog, but turns out, I only uploaded pictures of our house! Anyway, yesterday was nice because I got to sleep in until about 10, when the cleaning people woke me up, and then the guilt of seeping in late kept me up. I really hate that, and wish that when I have the opportunity to sleep in, I just do it. Either way, it was good rest. I don’t remember much about what I did yesterday, probably because I didn’t do much of anything but lounge around the house until Marykate and I decided to go to Marjorie with some of the fabric we already had to have her make a few more things for us. I already have two pretty conservative dresses, and so I decided to get a halter top made from this really pretty batik fabric, and to also get a high-waisted skirt made from this bright orange and yellow fabric. She said she’d have them done by Friday, just in time for our trip! She also sells a lot of fabric, so MK and I took a look through it all, and of course, I bought more fabric! I have four new kinds of fabric, but don’t worry, none of them are for me. I’ve already started brainstorming patterns and designs for my friends and family at home, so I’ve been collecting the fabric for the designs until people start sending me their measurements and what exactly they want (HINT HINT).

Anyway, yesterday we had an “Adjusting to Ghana” workshop, and two American professors that teach at the University of Ghana came and told us about the four stages most people go through when living in a different culture for the first time. The first is the “Honeymoon” phase, which apparently can last the entire time for some people. This phase is pretty self-explanatory, but basically means that you’re enthralled with everything and think everything’s really great and kind of blind to the realities of a lot of things. The second phase is the “Hostility” phase, when the newness has worn off and you’re very homesick and tired and aren’t quite yet adjusted to the new culture. The third phase is the “Humor” phase, and this is when you begin to adapt and begin to recognize cultural differences and adapt accordingly, without making judgment calls or anything. The final phase is the “Home” phase, and this happens about 10 weeks in, when you begin to really feel at ease with everything, and truly call this place “home”. I think right now I’m in between hostility and humor, because I still get frustrated with a lot of things, but also try to take everything in stride and realize that’s just the way things are in Ghana. I don’t know if I ever went through the honeymoon phase to a large extent, but I definitely had my share of “This place is incredible!” moments. Anyway, just found this interesting and thought I’d share.

After dinner we came home and a few of us watched Superbad and made Valentine’s Day cards. Since it takes about 2 weeks (I think longer, actually) for a letter to get to the United States, Gillian and I decided we’d better get our cards out now so that hopefully they’ll be there in time for Valentine’s Day.

Today was pretty relaxed, too. A bunch of us had our African Popular Music class, which was great and went by pretty fast. There are like 15 of us in the class, the largest class we have here, for sure, and our professor is totally an African music genius. I think he’s from London but has lived in Ghana and taught at Legon for over 30 years. After our music class, Gillian and I were on a quest to find Ghanaian chocolate to send home! It’s rare here because Ghana is rich in cocoa resources, but don’t have the structural means to produce chocolate out of the cocoa, so they must export their cocoa, and then import the produced chocolate. It’s kind of sad and twisted, and is a result of British colonialism. We finally found chocolate, and then headed to the post office (not on our bikes, since we didn’t want the chocolate to melt). After the post office, Gillian, Mallory and I went back to Marjorie, since she called me and said my skirt and top were ready!! She works so fast but does a really good job, and I was pleased to have them before our trip to Winneba tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll wear the clothes soon and take pictures to post!

Tomorrow we’re going to Winneba, a town about an hour west of Accra along the coast. Apparently it has really nice beaches (that you can actually swim in, unlike the beaches in Accra), and at night we get to go turtle watching! I think about 15 of us are going by bus, and sleeping four to a hotel room, but it’ll be a really fun road trip. A few of us are also planning a trip to Togo, which we might take on Valentine’s Day weekend, but we’re not entirely sure on the plans for that trip yet! Anyway, I’m excited to get out of Accra for a few days and lie on the beach and get to know more people in our group better! I probably won’t have internet, meaning I probably can’t update this over the weekend, but certainly will update and post pictures when we get back!

Hope all is well at home! I miss you all and love you so so so so so much!

love love love

4 comments:

Momma said...

Honey - couldn't wait to read your blog - since you told me you were updating as we IM'd! I am envious of Marjorie's speed and expertise in getting your frocks done so quickly! How I would love to be a fly on her wall and watch her work! I bet she doesn't use patterns and knows where measurements are without actually having to measure - what talent. I would LOVE to have her job. Bet she is a happy and cheerful lady, surrounding herself with those beautiful textures and colors. I am very intrigued and pleased at the lecture on the phases you might experience in Ghana - how great to discuss them and know that what you might be feeling is "just a phase" or at least that others have experienced that same processes. They have thought of everything. I've already given you my be careful mom talk so I'll just say have a WONDERFUL time on the beach! Use your sunscreen, though. (Can't help it)! Thank you for the illuminating and fun update today. More later before you leave. I love you tons, Peanut! Momma

Megan Shelby said...

Cousin,

I would love to order some of Marjorie's creations thru you, but seeing as though I have no clue what my measurements would be whenever I got to wear them, I am a little hesitant, but if you happen to see any beautiful blue or green fabric (nothing too busy) don't hesitate, I can be easily persuaded to change my mind! I love reading your blog and living vicariously thru you! Have fun on your trip and skype me soon! Skype name = ms.meganshelby, I would love to talk to you and see your sweet face!

Love you tons,
Megan

nana said...

Ej: Great update. Your writing causes me to feel as if I am actually there. The sewing is really amazing.Wish we had someone like Marie in Houston.Your classes sound so interesting.How fortunate you are to have good professors.Can't wait for the beach update. I think it is wonderful for you to travel around.Just please,please be careful.I'm at the lake and everything is great up hear. Just very cold. Supposed to be 24-28 tomorrow morning. BRRR!!!Very little rain up here this winter so everything is really dry.Not green and beautiful.The lake is clear and the color of your eyes.Better get ready for bed. Hugs and kisses. I love you so much. Nana

Isha said...

Hello to our dear Ghana girl. You know EJ, a good "sleep-in" is one of the finest pleasures in life...so indulge yourself with those opportunities when they come, put your guilt to bed, and enjoy those ZZZZZZs! Amazing that Majorie had your clothes ready in so short a time. How I envy that talent. I am thinking I will get some money to you so that you can purchase some material and have her hem me a table cloth and some napkins (purples, blues, and greens are my favorites). Interesting about the stages of adjusting to life in another culture and I'm sure you will probably move back and forth between all of them at different times during your stay there. I'm also sure your positive attitude, sense of purpose, and that most wickedly delightful humor of yours will continue to help you cope with the frustrations. Next to "sleep-ins," good chocolate is the second best indulgence in life, so I'm so glad you found a source. Have a glorious day at the beach. I am not going to remind you to be mindful of the the things that keep you healthy and safe because I know you will. Ok, I am reminding you. Miss you and love you like crazy. Ish