Wednesday, February 18, 2009

art center :)

So today I woke up to a text at 7 am from my boss, Belynda, saying there wasn’t anything at WAAF I needed to come in to do, so I could stay at home today. What a relief! I turned my alarm off and went back to sleep until 10:30! It was really nice to sleep in and have NO responsibilities today. I had a leisurely morning, doing some reading for class and surfing the internet for a little bit. Around 1 MK and I went to Melting Moments (the place that has the really good macaroni and cheese!). Of course, I ordered mac and cheese, and bought some really good cookies for the road. Afterwards, Katie, her mom (who is visiting for a week (so good to have a maternal influence in the house)) invited me to go with them to the Art Center in Accra. I hadn’t been before, so I opted to go, and we had a GREAT time. I was a little worried it’d be like the markets, and therefore was preparing myself for a very, very stressful next for hours. However, when we got there, it was almost empty, and the stalls are a lot more spread out. The Art Center is where people buy a lot of cool, authentic Ghanaian souvenirs, and where you can really put your bartering skills to the test! Katie knew a man who owns one of the stands, so he came and showed us his huge shop. I had a field day in there, picking out lots of gifts for myself and for all of you! I collected all my things and negotiated for them collectively. I got him down from 40 Cedi to 27, total!! I’m getting good at this bartering thing. ;) Anyway, it’s a REALLY cool place. Of course, there’s the usual “Hey, come over here!” “Just look, you don’t have to buy.” “Let me just show you this one thing.” “It’s nice to be nice.” But other than that, it was 100x more peaceful than either Kaneshi or Makola, and I had a really positive experience, AND came home with some souvenirs. It was great to spend time with Katie and her mom, too. We got back around 5, and I just hung out at home until dinner at Tante’s at 7. The evening has been relatively uneventful since, but all in all, it was a really nice day.

Oh! And special shout out to Amanda Rachelle, whose letter I got today! Made me so happy to get a letter from home, and makes me miss her, and all of you, a million times more. Keeping you all in my heart, always always always.

love love love

2 comments:

Isha said...

A sleep-in, stress-free shopping, a "Mom" from home, and Mac-&-Cheese..all the incredients for a lovely, lovely day. How terrific it is that you can have these relaxing moments to catch your breath and recharge your being. How fun it must have been to browse through all those authentic naitive arts and crafts at the Art Center. I imagine you saw some interesting and colorful things. "It's nice to be nice" made me laugh out loud. Sadly, I think I would be a total sucker for that sales pitch! You certainly are taking to this bartering business. You seem such a natural at it. Given your Dad's reputation for not paying asking price for anything, I am left wondering if there is something in the genes that predisposes a person to be a good negotiator. No matter, I certainly know who to ask to go with me the next time I buy a car! Happy to read you are getting letters from home and am apologetic for not sending one thus far. I know they are cherished by you. I intend to mail the one I've written tomorrow. (Hey, if you can survive the Makola Market, then I can survive the chaos of the Downtown Post Office)! Have an amazing Thursday Sweetpea. Love you, love you, love, my wonderful, adorable EJ. Isha

Momma said...

My Elizabeth Jane,
How happy I am that you had such a perfectly positive experience at yet another large market - the Art Center sounds delightful. Wish I had been there with you to explore and discover the unique local treasures. I love the name of the restaurant that offers you yummy macaroni and cheese -- Melting Moments - what poetic people these people are. I am glad you were able to regroup and relax today and that we got to talk briefly tonight. Sorry about the cookie reject I wrote of in my email to you - I will think on how now to get your goodies from home to you - will have to be creative and "subterfuge-ish"! We do what we must do. Good night my precious Angel - be safe and take excellent and gentle care of yourself. I love you, Peanut -- Momma