Friday, February 06, 2009

elizabeth the grouch

Warning: I had a tired, exhausting day. Therefore, this post may be a tad negative. Just a warning. But hey, I've not nothing but great days since I've been here, I'm entitled to one grouchy one.

Today was an exhausting! Those who are taking class(es) at Legon, including me, had recitation this morning. It’s interesting how this works with almost each of us taking a different class at Legon. Because this is the case, our Academic Director, Aunti Akosua, is just teaching us topics about Ghana, which is great. Since we are visiting the Elmina Slave Castle tomorrow at Cape Coast, we talked a little bit about slave castles and were each given a topic to study while at the castle tomorrow. I got art, so it’ll be interesting to look at the castle from an “art” point of view. Next week we’ll all share our topics and how they relate to slave trade/the castle. Should be really interesting.

After recitation, Gillian, Anika and I decided to go to Makola—bad idea! I don’t know why I keep submitting myself to this kind of anxiety. I know it’s going to be stressful and drive me crazy, and yet, I still go. All in the name of fabric, I guess. That’s the only reason I’d ever go to the market—because that’s where all the fabric is. Anyway, long story short, it took us about two hours of walking around the perimeter of the market to find the actual entrance to the market, and once we found it, we (I) were so hot/tired/exhausted that we weren’t even in the buying mood anymore, so we left shortly after looking at 2 fabric stands. I didn’t get anything, but that’s okay. The market put me in a pretty bad mood the rest of the day. I think the solution to this problem is to just stay away from the markets as much as possible. They’re great, and I think everyone should experience both at least once, but they put New York Times Square to absolute shame as far as business and crowded people go.

After the market a bunch of us went to the grocery store and I bought some popcorn kernels, chocolate, tea biscuits, and snacks for the road tomorrow—essentially all junk food that’s not easily available anywhere else. The groceries were worth the money I paid for them and the chocolate helped ease my grouchiness a little.

So we went to dinner at Tante Marie’s tonight, which (perhaps it was just my bad mood), was fairly disappointing. They never, ever have enough food, and so those who eat last (we’re dismissed by tables to get our food buffet-style) always get the crappy stuff that everyone else rejected. Of course, our table was second to last, and therefore I had a little bit of pasta, and that was it.

We got home and made cookies, drank wine, and watched Across the Universe—my favorite movie. I think I need a reminder of home, and that movie definitely helped. I’m definitely in the “hostile” stage of living in a new place, or maybe I’m just having a “hostile” day, but I just wasn’t feeling it today. Anyway, I need to go to sleep before I start ranting. AND! We’re going to Cape Coast/Elmina tomorrow with the entire NYU group (all 40 of us) and are spending the night. We’re going to tour the slave castle, AND do a canopy walk through the tops of tress in a forest. This is what I’ve been looking forward to my entire trip, so I’m excited we finally get to do it! Sunday we’re taking a batik-making class, which should be great as well! I should be back sometime Sunday afternoon.

Have a wonderful weekend and take care of yourselves! Miss you all SO much.

love love love

4 comments:

Momma said...

Hey Missy, You are entitled to as many grouchy-pants days as you need or want! You have been going and blowing without much pause and the frenetic pace is bound to catch up with you - not to mention the heat (THAT alone would do me in) and the total opposite of all things familiar, all attitudes familiar and all foods familiar. I would have been ranting long before now. That you are recognizing this "hostile" momentary state - is a good thing. They have prepared you well. You'll feel so much better in the morning - promise. Sweet dreams and have a lovely weekend skimming the tops of the trees. What fun! I love you, Sweetheart. Your Momma

nana said...

EJ: Nana joins you in the grouch club. Had a disappointing interaction with a dear friend. Was more shocked at her behavior than grouchy. It did, however, set me up to be short tempered and a little negative. Am at the lake and my mood has changed to one of feeling positive and blessed to have my refuge.Know you will love your slave castle and canopy adventure. How blessed you are to be able to have these experiences to remember for the rest of your life. Your blog readers are also fortunate to share your adventures through your remarkable descriptions.Look forward,eagerly, each day to the next installment. Have a great time. Hugs and kisses. I love you. Nana

Isha said...

My darling sweetpea,

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating day, but I am glad that you know it's okay to just feel what you feel. I do wish I could reach through this computer and give you a great big hug. Your weekend plans sound wonderful. I have been reading much about the slave castle on the internet and can't wait to read your inpressions of it. The canopy walk also sounds exciting, although a little scary to this acrophobe. I hope someone is able to take photographs of your stroll through the treetops. What a great experience that will be! Have such a cool time this weekend. Hugs, hugs , and more hugs sent your way. I love you EJ. Isha

Megan Shelby said...

Hey cousin!

Everyone needs grouchy days; it helps you to appreciate the great ones that follow! I am so proud of how and what you are doing during your african adventures, it takes great amounts of courage to expose yourself so fully to the unknown, and all the good and the bad that it entails! And yes, the Beatles do help to make everything better, I know from experience. I love you much and wish you well during your walk through the trees!

Megan