Monday, February 16, 2009

isaiah 54:10

Today began at 6:30 am. Leigh and I had appointments to visit with two schools’ patrons to verify when we would have our first workshops. We arrived at the first school at 8 am sharp, and got there just in time to see something really cool. Most schools in Accra are multi-leveled, fairly open, and are centered around a courtyard type area. When we arrived at Burma Camp, which is a military school, there were hundreds of students in the courtyard, all lined up. There were about four students playing a simple drum beat, and all the other students were somewhat sloppily, but on beat, marching in place and singing some sort of chant in Twi. They were lined up by classroom, and a teacher would dismiss each line one at a time. The students of that line would march single file, while singing, to their classroom, and the line would immediately crumble once they got out of their teacher’s eyesight. It was really fun to watch and see these kids behaving so well. It reminded me a lot of my elementary school days at Lagos, when we’d meet in our class lines underneath the ramada before school started. Though, we didn’t march or sing songs while waiting. Anyway, we met with the patron of Burma Camp and confirmed a date. Then, we went to the second school and met with the patron of that school and confirmed two dates for workshops in the future. Leigh and I were done by 9:00, and called Belynda who said we didn’t need to come into the office for anything, so we were free to go home. It was nice to have all our work done by 9 am and have the rest of the day to ourselves. As much as I HATE waking up early, I do appreciate the feeling of having an entire day to do with what I please.

After getting home, I finished up all the reading I have to do for tomorrow’s two classes, and wrote in my internship journal. For our internship seminar, we have to keep a journal each week of our feelings on the internship or the class, what we’re learning, etc. I find myself repeating a lot of what I say in these blogs and also a lot of the conversations I have with my friends here. Since tomorrow’s Tuesday, aka, learning day, I’m sure tomorrow’s blog will be full of new information and questions that arise from my class tomorrow. Tomorrow I’ll also recommend a book that I think everyone should read, which relates to the blog entry I wrote last Tuesday about foreign aid and if it’s good or bad.

Marykate and I went to Legon around 4:00. We got there a little early, so we just sat outside under the shade and talked. The weather wasn’t too bad, actually, and there was a nice breeze that made sitting outside bearable. Our Media and Society class was good, and we made a new Ghanaian friend! Her name is Felicia, and she befriended us. We heard that at Legon especially, it’s hard for Obruni girls to make friends with Ghanaian girls, because the Ghanaians are often rude or short with us. So we were pleasantly surprised when Felicia turned around and started talking to us! We hope to keep sitting by her and maybe even hang out with her a few times.

Gillian brought home dinner from Tante’s for me, and MK and I had a really good talk about family, friends, adventures, being away from home, etc. I’m thankful for the friendships I’m making here, and for the unique people I’m meeting. I really do feel a sense of community, and know that I’m not alone in any of my feelings.

Hope everyone had a good Monday! Stay safe and be happy!

PS- I teach at my first school tomorrow!! Wish me luck, as Leigh and I visit Flagstaff to teach the first workshop at the school! Can’t wait!

love love love

isaiah 54:10:
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you."
This verse is where my heart is right now.

2 comments:

Momma said...

Thank you, Elizabeth Jane, for sharing the lovely words of Isaiah 54:10. What a calm His words and your words have cast on me tonight. I wish you much love and luck as you teach your first workshop at Flagstaff today. The name of the school makes me smile and forbears wonderful things -- that word alone embodies goodness. Such familiar and warm images your writing evokes - innocent days at Lagos, long talks with friends, the sense of satisfaction and pleasure in knowing that there is a community of feelings, hopes and concerns in your new world. I love your descriptions of the children you observe each day- they seem so earnest and joyful and without guile. I bet you never tire of watching them. You will come home with rich memories of the interested and absorbing faces of those to whom you teach your valuable lessons. Their respect will be refreshing and energizing. Have a lovely and satisfying day today, my beautiful Angel. I love you, Momma

Isha said...

Good Morning Sweetpea,

Thank you for the lovely glimpse of your day. It has become a very special and endearing ritual for me to end my day by reading about yours. And what wonderful images to dream on... singing children on the march, a gentle breeze, a friend named Felicia, a school named Flagstaff, a well-fed tummy, and a very full heart. You seem content and at peace and I think how wonderful you must feel to be living this journey so authentically. I know your first day of teaching today is going to be a good one. You are well -prepared for this task and are going to save lives through this work. How captivated these children will be by the magical blue-eyed Obruni from Texas. I love you E.J.