Wednesday, February 25, 2009

televi

Hi all! I know, I know, yet another day without updating has gone by. But don’t worry, yesterday wasn’t too eventful. Just had my usual two classes, both of which were really interesting, though both ended extra early. My internship class was only an hour long—hardly enough time to cover anything substantial, so we just spent the majority of the time just talking to our professor about NYU. She has a 12 year old daughter, and is beginning to think about college options, and said she would never even consider sending her kid to a school like NYU, with no campus or gates or anything. I guess we’re really lucky to have parents that trust us ad allowed us to grow up quickly in college. I’m definitely thankful for my NYU experience. Feeling like you live in the City and go to school is totally different than the normal college experience of living and breathing the university. Living in New York has been one of the greatest, most challenging, but most rewarding experiences of my life. Anyway, babbling on…

Today was a great day as well. I slept in and watched movies for a few hours since I didn’t have class or work today. Marykate, Gillian and I went to lunch and then MK and I went to the Art Center (the place I liked with all the cool gifts) to buy little percussion “instruments,” called Televi, for our African Popular Music class tomorrow. I don’t know how to describe them other than they are two balls filled with beans connected to a string. You put one ball in your hand and flip the other ball back and forth with a flip of your wrist to get the two balls to hit each other and create sound. It’s something all the locals use here in Ghana, and was originally a kid toy before it got appropriated and became a musical instrument in West African music. So anyway, we bought those, because our teacher is going to show us how to properly play them tomorrow. (I’ve tried and can do the most basic of motions, but am no where near proficient.) Sarah, I’m brining some home for you because I know you would love them. I bargained for a few other gifts at the Art Center, and let me just say, I’m a PRO bargainer. The seller even commented on how good I was.


Televi


After the Art Center we had recitation, and watched a documentary called Traces of the Trade by a roughly 30 year old woman who lives in Bristol, Rhode Island. She is a 6th or 7th generation decedent of the DeWolf family, one of the most prominent, wealthy families in Rhode Island and one of the leaders in the slave trade. Many of the buildings and monuments erected in Rhode Island were built using money the DeWolf’s made from the business. Anyway, this woman, a Princeton graduate, decided to trace the steps of her ancestors to follow their journey along the slave trade. She invited 200 of her family (clearly, both immediate and distant distant family) to come along, and I think 7 of them went. They went to Ghana and visited the Elmina Slave Castle (the castle we saw) and then went to Cuba where slaves were also held. Her point was to see what her ancestors had done, see the atrocities of the slave trade, make peace with Africans and apologize, and open up a dialogue about slavery and race issues between themselves and Africans and African Americans. It was a really good documentary and really cool to see Ghana and Elmina featured in the documentary.

Dinner was a bit different tonight, as Tante had some function going on at the restaurant, so they brought all the food over to Solomon’s. We managed to fit 45 people in our dining room/living room, which was a sight to behold, but it was fun. Gillian and I just got done talking for what must’ve been close to 2 hours. It’s great to have a roommate who I can talk with about whatever, and who I get along with so well. G, if you’re reading this, holla.

Anyway, tomorrow I have my African Popular Music class, and then I’m teaching the first workshop at a new school with Leigh. Should be great, I can’t wait!

How is everyone doing? Update me please! Miss you all so much!

love love love

5 comments:

Isha said...

Mornin'sweetpea! Thanks for the description and picture of the televi. I'm looking forward to you and SSS serenading us when you get home. Great gift for SSS. She surely will be a fine televist(?)with all her natural coordination and rhythm. What an interesting concept for a documentary. I wonder if it is available in the States? I certainly admire the Rhode Islander's courage in tracing this saddest of trade routes and for her efforts at reconcilliation on behalf of her ancestors. That one's family was instrumental in causing and profiting from all that misery and sorrow must be very difficult to reconcile within oneself, no matter how far removed one's life and choices are from theirs.
I'm so happy to read that you have found this wonderful friend and roommate. Ms.G sounds like a lovely person and it is great that, so far away from home, you've found someone special to share with, have fun with, get crazy with, and just be. You ladies have fun in class tomorrow shaking your knockers
...um...your televi! :) Love you so much EJ. Ish

Momma said...

Good Morning Ghana Girl! I love your description of the televi and thank you for the photo of them. I can only imagine what they sound like -- how fun that you are going to get to learn to play them. Sarah will love to figure them out! I am glad you feel the way you do about NYU; although I know the city as campus is not the traditional college setting and gets a little tedious at times. I'm glad you are experiencing the traditional campus a little more for a bit, where you are now. I'll never forget the head of CAS describing the NYU "campus" as a hyperstimulating environment and warning that if our child didn't like that kind of environment, then NYU might not be for him or her. I think this was during the pre-acceptance, "courting" period. You've learned that that is an apt description, I believe. I'm glad you have had a chance to learn outside of that setting this semester -- just for a change. And the things you have learned in this intriguing setting! What an interesting and challenging mission the DeWolf woman has taken on in an effort to shed the dark mantle of her ancestry regarding the slave trade. Would like to see the documentary. We are all good here honey. I'll further update in email. Thank you for your newsy blog entry today and every day. Your desire to capture in writing each adventure and reflection - and take us to your place along the way - is such a gift to all. Have a wonderful Thursday, Sweetheart. Enjoy your workshop - you are so good at teaching, I know. Stay safe, safe, safe. I love you so, Momma

nana said...

Hi,EJ: This is a test. I have forgotten my password. Been trying to write you for a week. Nana

nana said...

Dear EJ: The old brain finally remembered. I have kept up with all of your amazing adventures even in the hospital. Have been getting accustomed to M. Bob's laptop and in fooling with it forgot my password.M. Bob took the laptop in today and had it upgraded and it works so much faster and better. Megan is in NYC and is busy. Hasn't found a place to live yet;but is actively looking.Has contacted the 2 nanny agencies and put herself on the active list.Andrew is hanging out with his friends and going to school 2 nights. M. Bob has been a wonderful host. Just cooks too much wonderful food. Your mom and Sarah seem to have everything under control and are doing well.I finished therapy today. Saw Dr. Blum yesterday and he was pleased with my progress.By the time you return,I will be as good as new.Love sharing all the adventures and classes with you. You truly have the travel gene and the get the most out of every minute gene. You KNOW what is most important.Keep up the wonderful postings. Nothing is dull or boring to your devoted fans. Hugs and kisses. I love you so much. Nana

Unknown said...

To Momma and Nana,

I am truly touched by you two and your support for my dear friend. I am so thankful that she has the love and support of two such incredible influences in her life and that you love her so dearly as she deserves to be loved. It's so encouraging to me especially to see that you all are missing her on the homefront as much as I am over here in the city. Take care,

Charlie

oh and see you in a few weeks brit.